Question & Opinions on your Preference

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pmanningsfan73

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
I was wondering how other player or team collectors choose to use toploaders in or on their collections. Like do you use a toploader on every card of your collection or maybe only on some that have a higher book value or value to you? I am trying to put all my PC cards $3 or higher in toploaders & the ones $2.50 & lower in just penny sleeves. Of course if the lower valued cards are really nice then I'll make an exception & place it in a toploader. Just looking to see how others store &/or protect their collections.

Thanks

Only higher valued cards or certain interesting cards go into Top Loaders. I would need a ton of top loaders if I did all my cards. Plus it would be very costly.

All of my cards get the penny sleeve and top loader treatment. The ones that I PC not matter the value, get a penny sleeve, top loader, and then sealed inside a team bag. I'm kind of a nut job like that. ��

All of my cards get the penny sleeve and top loader treatment. The ones that I PC not matter the value, get a penny sleeve, top loader, and then sealed inside a team bag. I'm kind of a nut job like that. ��

Th PC is why we do what we do your not alone mine takes up 6 boxes, not including the graded cards which I have not found the right box for, and that is just the cards then there is everything else getting ready to give my PC a room in the house.

Generally speaking, I put cards with a BV of $10 or more in top loaders with penny sleeves. The exceptions to that rule are vintage stars if they are really in nice shape even if they don't book for $10. The other exception is odd ball/off brand HOF/prominent player RCs that you don't find too often and I believe are undervalued. For example I have a bunch of 1989 Thurman Thomas cards that are from a regional Police set that only book for a few dollars but are fairly scarce in the grand scheme of things.

Here is an EBAY picture of that Thurman Thomas cards I am talking about.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1989-Louis...102631?hash=item2844de2b67:g:kroAAOSwa~BYNi5g

So for me it is $10 or more in BV with those two exceptions.

Cards that I like or collecting....Plastic Sleeve and then top loader......if it base set or insert that's okay........only Plastic Sleeve unless its a chrome card which could bend! Best regards, David

Mine are a mish-mash, with no real rhyme or reason or consistency.
I try to keep my pre-73s in penny sleeve & top loader.
Beyond that, cards that have some value (maybe $ 2-3) are in the same, but the rest are just in boxes.
My PC is mostly in penny sleeve & top loader, but that's only a thousand cards or so.
My sets are in binders.

Boots

My cards are all in penny sleeves. None of them are in toploaders. My autograph and relic cards are in (or are slowly being moved into) one-touch magnetics.

All my cards go in 9-pocket pages and binders, with the higher end or thickest cards going in screwdowns. I don't know BV so it's an arbitrary cutoff.

every single Kansas City Royals card, no matter if it is a $0.20 base card or a $100+ auto, gets a penny sleeve and a top-loader... I have thousands and thousands of Royals cards in perfect order and uniform display.

all my player collection cards (Ryan Klesko) are in 9-page sheets and in binders per year that he played.

all my other trade bait and miscellaneous cards go in penny sleeves.

I also "player" collect Zack Ryder and Dolph Ziggler from the WWE. They get snap-down's for their auto's and penny sleeves & top-loaders for everything else.

I have gone back and forth for years. Years ago, I decided that I would put all of my signed cards in toploaders. When I started the project, it was easy to do as I only had a few 1000 signed cards. After a while, I found I was buying cases and cases of toploaders just to keep up with the demand. I also consider the bulk of my autographs to be lower end, so protection was not as desired as consistency. Plus, oversized cards like 54-56 Topps and such would then fit in as well. Then the manufacturers started doing sealed cases (uncirculated), so those would need to be removed and re-sleeved in toploaders to match, and I was not willing to do that. Finally, I had enough of the expense of toploaders and pulled ALL signed cards and now they sit in sleeves whether its a $1 TTM or a $300 certified auto.

Ideally, I'd like them in 9 pocket pages within albums, but that would cost a fortune and I am always adding to the collection. That would never work.

My Garvey cards all go in some sort of toploader or rigid case. Since there are sealed cases, thick cards and such, they will never all be in the same holders though.

I'm sure I'll change my mind again in the future...