Show a pic of a random card you own thread..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

I remember getting an entire box of 81 football for a birthday present for my 9th birthday. (Of course it was only about 15 bucks at that time) but got about 6 of these Payton cards, but not 1 Montana rookie
A box may have been even cheaper than that! I'm thinking packs were about .25 or .30 and nobody wanted them! I remember packs of cards went up a nickel every year until they finally hit .50 in about 1987/88 which I thought was outrageous! LOL

What is even funnier is that you could have bought as many boxes as you wanted of 1981 football for $3-$5 each as it was considerd junk! There were all kinds of deals to be had for 80s football up until about 1988 or 1989 when Pro Set and Score came on the scene and dramaticly increased the demand (and prices) for football.

Back then Montana's RC was just a common too. The "big" rookie card people would get excited about pulling back then was Billy Sims of the Lions. Sims was a HOF talent but a knee injury derailed his career. Such a shame.

Last edited:
The one and only card made of Dr. J in 1978-79. How times have changed. I was fortunate that the Nets were broadcast on a NYC station up here in upstate NY so I got to watch Dr. J a lot once he was traded to the Nets. I developed an obsession with the ABA back then which I still have today. I was heartbroken when the ABA folded and 4 teams went to the NBA.

I'm pretty sure I posted reently about mid-late 70s basketball being undervalued and this Dr. J card is in that era. Beautiful card BTW!

Exactly. And Sims was Barry Sanders, before Barry Sanders! A victim of the astroturf at the Metrodome
The poor cursed Lions. I was going to Michigan State when Billy Sims was draftd by the Lions and for once the Lions were a really good team. They used to blast Queen's "Another one bites the dust" in the Silverdome when the Lions had their hot start mostly due to Billy Sims. Some of the players made a parody of that song and I'll always remember Jimmy Allen's part "I'm the Spiderman, I can do whatever a spider can". So much for his career as a lyrisist! LMAO!!

The #20 has been a big uniform for the Lions throughout the decades. Sims, Barry and Hall of Famr Lem Barney all wore that uniform #.

The one and only card made of Dr. J in 1978-79. How times have changed. I was fortunate that the Nets were broadcast on a NYC station up here in upstate NY so I got to watch Dr. J a lot once he was traded to the Nets. I developed an obsession with the ABA back then which I still have today. I was heartbroken when the ABA folded and 4 teams went to the NBA.

I'm pretty sure I posted reently about mid-late 70s basketball being undervalued and this Dr. J card is in that era. Beautiful card BTW!
Here's my ABA collection...
1658003190577.png1658003172218.png
1658003213739.png

Last edited:
A box may have been even cheaper than that! I'm thinking packs were about .25 or .30 and nobody wanted them! I remember packs of cards went up a nickel every year until they finally hit .50 in about 1987/88 which I thought was outrageous! LOL

What is even funnier is that you could have bought as many boxes as you wanted of 1981 football for $3-$5 each as it was considerd junk! There were all kinds of deals to be had for 80s football up until about 1988 or 1989 when Pro Set and Score came on the scene and dramaticly increased the demand (and prices) for football.

Back then Montana's RC was just a common too. The "big" rookie card people would get excited about pulling back then was Billy Sims of the Lions. Sims was a HOF talent but a knee injury derailed his career. Such a shame.
I almost missed the Griffey #1 upper deck card craze because the packs were 1.00 Id never payed more than .50 for a pack before that.

I almost missed the Griffey #1 upper deck card craze because the packs were 1.00 Id never payed more than .50 for a pack before that.
Funny you mention that because I was the same way! There was no ay I was paying $1.00/pack for cards and especially because there were 2 series which was also a new development. I was able to pick up a lot of Griffeys and complete sets on the secondary market but there was no way I was going to pay $36 a box on not just one occasion...........but two! Talk about inflation! Cards doubled in prrice for ,50 a pack to a dollar which blew my mind.

Oh man. You say "Geranld Govan" to any old school ABA fans and they'll say "glasses". The ultimate ABA journeyman. I always related to Gerald Govan (seriously) because I was playing high school basketball at the time and had to wear those horrible looking athletic glasses like Govan did. Thankfully, I got contacts as a Sr. which ended my days of sporting the Gerald Govan look. LOL

He was an ABA mainstay as he was one of 7 or 8 players to play all 9 seasons in the ABA and the only one who wore glasses! I looked him up and was glad to see he is still alive at 80 years old.

Sticking with the recent basketball theme:

View attachment 79205
And sticking with the Utah Stars theme no less. One of my favorite cards of all time. Malone was such an historic figure as he went right from high school to the pros and was the first one to do it. He is just a teenager in this shot and playing with grown men! The transformation of Moses from a skinny teenager in this shot to a burly powerhouse later in his career is amazing to see.