Show a pic of a random card you own thread..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Look at the number of 20 game winners on this list not to mention a bunch of 19 game winners. These guys were not pampered with pitch counts back then and everyone on that list had a lengthy career despite that.

That is also the season that Steve Carlton won 27 despite the Phillies only winning 50 something games. That was a truly awesome accomplishment showing how great that guy really was.

1972 was a horrible year for Philadelphia sports. Besides the Phillies, I'm pretty sure this is the same year (72-73) that the 76ers went 9-73 which was the worst record in NBA history until the Charlotte Bobcats "broke" it. I don't think the Eagles had turned the corner yet as that was a couple of seasons later. At least I think the Flyers were pretty good but could be corrected on that.

Yes, 1972/73 saw the Flyers lose to the Canadiens in the Semi-finals. That same year saw them begin a playoff streak that would last until 1988/89! Go Flyers!

Scobes

Look at the number of 20 game winners on this list not to mention a bunch of 19 game winners. These guys were not pampered with pitch counts back then and everyone on that list had a lengthy career despite that.

That is also the season that Steve Carlton won 27 despite the Phillies only winning 50 something games. That was a truly awesome accomplishment showing how great that guy really was.

1972 was a horrible year for Philadelphia sports. Besides the Phillies, I'm pretty sure this is the same year (72-73) that the 76ers went 9-73 which was the worst record in NBA history until the Charlotte Bobcats "broke" it. I don't think the Eagles had turned the corner yet as that was a couple of seasons later. At least I think the Flyers were pretty good but could be corrected on that.
10 out of the top 20 pitchers listed are Hall of Famers.
There aren't even 10 HoF pitchers playing today, much less on any leader board. By my count, there are 4 locks and 2 probables. And nobody in their 20s coming up (Ohtani is in a separate box all by himself).

10 out of the top 20 pitchers listed are Hall of Famers.
There aren't even 10 HoF pitchers playing today, much less on any leader board. By my count, there are 4 locks and 2 probables. And nobody in their 20s coming up (Ohtani is in a separate box all by himself).
And most of those other 10 pitchers had very good careers. One pitcher not on that wins list is Dave McNally who always seemed to be in the top winners year after year. The days of the workhorse pitcher seem to be over although those days are not that far in the past (ie Maddux, Clemens, Johnson etc). I'm not sure if babying pitchers these days is the way to go since most, if not all, of the guys on that card had long careers. And the guys today on pitch counts seem to end up on the DL with regularity.

I'm showing my age, it should be IL not DL. I could get canceled for that! LMAO!!!!

Yes, 1972/73 saw the Flyers lose to the Canadiens in the Semi-finals. That same year saw them begin a playoff streak that would last until 1988/89! Go Flyers!

Scobes
So you guys had one bright spot in that terrible year for Philly. I knew the Flyers "Broad Street Bullies" era started around that time. I remember the Eagles started to get good when they traded for Roman Gabriel and Harold Carmichael hit the scene. Carmichael should have been in the HOF many years before he finally got in.

And most of those other 10 pitchers had very good careers. One pitcher not on that wins list is Dave McNally who always seemed to be in the top winners year after year. The days of the workhorse pitcher seem to be over although those days are not that far in the past (ie Maddux, Clemens, Johnson etc). I'm not sure if babying pitchers these days is the way to go since most, if not all, of the guys on that card had long careers. And the guys today on pitch counts seem to end up on the DL with regularity.

I'm showing my age, it should be IL not DL. I could get canceled for that! LMAO!!!!
The non-HoF on that card would be aces on just about every team today - Osteen, Pappas, Cuellar, Lolich, Holtzman, Rick Wise, Wilbur Wood - solid pitchers all, and not just for one year. They're probably on a slew of other Leader cards over a 5 year span of that era. Not to mention McNally, Vida Blue, Sam McDowell, Gaylord's brother Jim, Jerry Koosman, Luis Tiant.
What do we have today? A bunch of Walker Buhlers and Max Frieds and Sandy Alcantaras.

The back should say "He didn't hit a lot after signing in 2001, but once he discovered PEDs, it was a different story."