Show a pic of a random card you own thread..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nice looking card. I've got a couple of those.
Always looking out for the elusive Ken McMullen RC from '63.

Nice Tompkins RC but I'm more interested in Bill Denehy RCs myself.

Back in the 1980s some guy was advertising in the Sports Collector's Digest (a great publication BTW) to buy 1973 Topps John Hilton rookies in an attempt to steal some Mike Schmidt RCs who was very hot at the time. There was all kind of heck raised over that personal ad and SCD finally stopped publishing it. It was in the rather large personal classified ads section so it more than likely flew under the radar until some observant readers noticed it.

Ha! I remember we used to make the same joke in the 1980s - walk into a card shop and ask if they had any John Hilton Rookies! I didn't know that story about he SCD ad though!

Scobes

Screenshot 2023-07-27 at 07-54-02 Beckett - Most Trusted Name in Grading Authentication & Pric...png
This card. In 1985 my brother's best friend went on a card buying binge, as we all did that year, and had set his goal as completing the 85 set. As it turned out in pre ebay, pre internet days there was that one card that alluded him until mid 1986, Dave Collins was that card. No one in our friend group had even seen the card until I found it at a garage sale. Great memories. I now have 3 copies!

View attachment 90862
This card. In 1985 my brother's best friend went on a card buying binge, as we all did that year, and had set his goal as completing the 85 set. As it turned out in pre ebay, pre internet days there was that one card that alluded him until mid 1986, Dave Collins was that card. No one in our friend group had even seen the card until I found it at a garage sale. Great memories. I now have 3 copies!
As the self proclaimed king of the one and dones I can totally relate to that! And I never need a big card to complete thses O&D sets but it is always a common or minor star And this has been going on since the 1970s right up to the current day for me.

I too was on a buying binge in 1985. The big card everyone was chasing then was Dwight Gooden's RC. Alvin Davis was another. Funny to look back at these years gone by and seeing how things shook out with McGwire, Clemens and Puckett being the bigger RCs from 1985.

As the self proclaimed king of the one and dones I can totally relate to that! And I never need a big card to complete thses O&D sets but it is always a common or minor star And this has been going on since the 1970s right up to the current day for me.

I too was on a buying binge in 1985. The big card everyone was chasing then was Dwight Gooden's RC. Alvin Davis was another. Funny to look back at these years gone by and seeing how things shook out with McGwire, Clemens and Puckett being the bigger RCs from 1985.
Exactly. i had the same issue in 86 with Yankee great Andre Robertson. except this time a friend found it in november and somehow got me to trade him a fleer Ripken rookie for itI

Screenshot 2023-07-27 at 10-18-53 Beckett - Most Trusted Name in Grading Authentication & Pric...png
One great thing about the hobby is being able to tell stories, about the cards you enjoy and went after. i was 7 and a half when we moved from Montana to Minnesota and one of the things that helped me cope was card collecting. it wasn't until 81 that i really started liking John Castino and he quickly became my favorite player. by the time his career ended, a few short years later i was within reach of having all of his regular issue cards and his rookie, pictured above and his 84 donruss regular issue and diamond king were the last 3 i needed. i remember the dealer at the show rolled his eyes, when i excitedly handed him this card.

on a side note, Castino could have played a huge part in 87 and 91 championships, but his back couldn't take it. ironically, he and Jim Eisenriech went on the disabled list within days of each other in may of 84, and one player that replaced him.....some kid named Puckett.