Sweet Spot Auto Fading?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

I would look it up for you, but amazingly, Beckett OPG is down again. The Jeter is nice, but it is not a Schmidt/Ripken dual auto. The others that you received are not, in my opinion, a fair replacement for the Robinson and Kaline. I have several that I want to send in, but now I may to re-think that plan. Not sure.

If you have cards of players that you are not concerned about, go ahead and send them in. If it is something that is important to you, like my Ripkin/Schmidt, in hindsight, I wouldn't as you aren't going to get anything close to acceptable for a replacement. IMHO.

thanks,

Yeah, it's one of those large cards. Not numbered though.

I just don't know...those boxtoppers are nice and (I think) relatively tough to find. But the Schmidt/Ripken dual Sweet Spot is probably nicer than the Jeter. And while Tulo, Grady and Kinsler autos are nice, I just don't feel they're on the level of Kaline and Brooks Robinson. Sorry. Looks like a crummy redemption experience.

Yeah, sounds like you really got the short end of the stick. The Jeter is the only nice one, but definitely not equal in value to the dual HOF auto. And the others don't even start to make up for the faded HOF autos you sent in. Sorry about that! You should really contact them.

I just don't know...those boxtoppers are nice and (I think) relatively tough to find. But the Schmidt/Ripken dual Sweet Spot is probably nicer than the Jeter. And while Tulo, Grady and Kinsler autos are nice, I just don't feel they're on the level of Kaline and Brooks Robinson. Sorry. Looks like a crummy redemption experience.

John here is the Jeter info...
2007 UD Masterpieces 5x7 Box Topper Signatures #MP3 Derek Jeter AU Item has no pricing.

It seems that none of the boxtopper signatures are priced. Now if they'd have sent you the Koufax boxtopper auto from the set, that would be real sweet...hmmm...could Upper Deck have any just lying around? ;) Wonder if it's possible to ask.

Just called to get a case number for my 6 faded Tino Martinez autos (my Mattingly/Tino dual is one of them...grr) and got the following recorded message:

"Unfortunately, you have called during our scheduled staff lunch time...please call back after 1:30pm PST".

I wish I had a scheduled staff lunch time :D

Steph

Okay, I called back after their lunch break and got to speak to Greg in Customer Service (1-800-873-7332). Explained the situation and got a case number. He stated that Upper Deck is aware there is a "manufacturing defect" with the material the cards were made with and that they are replacing them. We also had a brief discussion about getting equal value in return. He mentioned that he's attempting "to accomodate a customer who has Killebrew, Bench, and other HOF autos".

Tonight, I'm going to be packing these up with delivery confirmation to send back to UD. I'll post some scans here tonight, and post with what I receive in return.

Steph

Hi Steph,

I just spoke with Greg as well. Very nice guy, but couldn't do anyhting about my HOF replacements. Just be aware that what you get back may not be what you are hoping for or promised. He also informed me that they are using Beckett for thier pricing. I asked him if they are using the current Beckett OPG or an old one. He said it was from the current site. With Beckett being so messed up lately with thier new site, it doesn't surprise me now that I got what I got. BV for BV, they don't look at what it is that you are trying to replace.
Nice guy, but couldn't do anything.

Good luck with yours, but be careful.

Hi Steph,

I just spoke with Greg as well. Very nice guy, but couldn't do anyhting about my HOF replacements. Just be aware that what you get back may not be what you are hoping for or promised. He also informed me that they are using Beckett for thier pricing. I asked him if they are using the current Beckett OPG or an old one. He said it was from the current site. With Beckett being so messed up lately with thier new site, it doesn't surprise me now that I got what I got. BV for BV, they don't look at what it is that you are trying to replace.
Nice guy, but couldn't do anything.

Good luck with yours, but be careful.

John, I've been reading about your case and it's so wrong what UD did to you. I'm not expecting much from them, but anything they give me is better than the crap I have at the moment. 4 of the autos are faded to the point where it's a plain piece of white synthetic baseball, the other 2 are barely noticeable. I'd rather exchange them now for something I can sell on eBay and buy things for my collection instead of holding onto them. Right now, they're worthless to me and not what they were in my collection at one point.

Maybe if I get something you're interested in I can trade for the Jeter. It's a nice card, just not a Ripken/Schmidt.

Steph

FedEx tried to deliver my package from UD today while I was at work. Will post up scans tomorrow when I get the package to show what I got. Fingers crossed!

Steph

I just got my case number for (3) common faded AUTOs and I'm sending them in now. I'll be happy with most any non-faded common auto they return but maybe I'll get an upgrade!

Heading out for replacement: Josh Willingham, Brandon Wood, Sergio Mitre

All are the most-common, red stitch, blue ink varieties $10-$15 BV ea.

I'll let you know when I get the return shipment.
Cheers,

Michael

Just opened my package from UD. Wasn't expecting much so I wasn't disappointed. All in all, I think I did OK. Hopefully I'll be able to unload the replacements so I can purchase some new items for my collection. Here's the goods, I'll post scans later on tonight.

SENT 2/8/11:
2007 Sweet Spot Classic Dual Signatures Red Stitch Blue Ink #MM Don Mattingly/Tino Martinez /50 $100.00
2007 Sweet Spot Classic Signatures Leather Gold Ink #TM Tino Martinez/50
$40.00
2007 Sweet Spot Classic Signatures Leather Blue Ink #TM Tino Martinez/75
$30.00
2007 Sweet Spot Classic Signatures Black Barrel Silver Ink #TM Tino Martinez/24 n/a
2007 Sweet Spot Classic Signatures Red Stitch Black Ink #TM Tino Martinez/175 $25.00
2007 Sweet Spot Classic Signatures Red Stitch Blue Ink #TM Tino Martinez/125
$30.00

RECEIVED 2/23/11 from Upper Deck:
2007 Sweet Spot Classic Signatures Barrel Black Ink #DA Dick Allen/50
$30.00
2007 Sweet Spot Classic Signatures Leather Blue Ink #DA Dick Allen/75
$25.00
2007 Sweet Spot Classic Signatures Barrel Blue Ink #FM Fred McGriff/75
$40.00
2007 Sweet Spot Classic Signatures Barrel Black Ink #FM Fred McGriff/50
$50.00
2004 Sweet Spot Signatures Red-Blue Stitch #SA Johan Santana/45
$60.00
2008 SPx #148 Evan Longoria AU RC AU RC $100.00
Total Book Value: $305.00

Last edited:
I just went through my 2007 Sweet Spot autos and had forty-two that I would like to get replaced, some worse than others. About 2/3's of them are vintage/HOF level players. Ouch! What phone number are you guys using to lodge your complaints? I think that I would like to give it a try. The cards, in the condition that they are, are pretty much worthless to me at this point and I would like to see what they might send me as replacements.

Barry Urbanek - PogoCards

I just went through my 2007 Sweet Spot autos and had forty-two that I would like to get replaced, some worse than others. About 2/3's of them are vintage/HOF level players. Ouch! What phone number are you guys using to lodge your complaints? I think that I would like to give it a try. The cards, in the condition that they are, are pretty much worthless to me at this point and I would like to see what they might send me as replacements.

Check out the UD website and look in the footer of the main page for a link to Customer Service. Follow the instructions from there.

You can call if you prefer. I sent an email preferring to have my correspondence documented. I had three beaters so it didn't really matter too much. You have some pretty serious hits so you might be better talking with them and negotiating on some of the big ones.

Good luck!

Michael

Barry, I called 800-873-7332 and spoke with Greg. From the time I mailed my cards to the time I received my replacements was about 2 weeks. Hopefully they hook you up.

Steph

This is what I would like to send back. I found a couple more. Thanks for the info guys. I will give it a tray and see what I get in return.

Alomar, Roberto 2007 Sweet Spot Classic Signatures Red Stitch Black Ink RA #122/175 (Blue Jays)
Aparicio, Luis 2007 Sweet Spot Classic Signatures Gold Stitch Black Ink LA #54/99 (White Sox)
Aparicio, Luis 2007 Sweet Spot Classic Signatures Gold Stitch Blue Ink LA #29/50 (White Sox)
Aparicio, Luis 2007 Sweet Spot Classic Signatures Red Stitch Black Ink LA #130/175 (White Sox)
Baines, Harold 2007 Sweet Spot Classic Signatures Red Stitch Blue Ink HB #56/125 (White Sox)
Baines, Harold 2007 Sweet Spot Classic Signatures Red Stitch Blue Ink HB #108/125 (White Sox)
Bonser, Boof 2007 Sweet Spot Signatures Red Stitch Blue Ink BB #42/299 (Twins)
Buck, Travis 2007 Sweet Spot Signatures Red Stitch Blue Ink TB #270/299 (Athletics)
Buck, Travis 2007 Sweet Spot Signatures Red Stitch Blue Ink TB #274/299 (Athletics)
Bunning, Jim 2007 Sweet Spot Classic Signatures Red Stitch Blue Ink JI #104/125 (Phillies)
Bunning, Jim 2007 Sweet Spot Classic Signatures Red Stitch Blue Ink JI #124/125 (Phillies)
Dunston, Shawon 2007 Sweet Spot Classic Signatures Gold Stitch Blue Ink SD #35/50 (Cubs)
Galarraga, Andres 2007 Sweet Spot Classic Signatures Red Stitch Blue Ink AG #70/125 (Rockies)
Galarraga, Andres 2007 Sweet Spot Classic Signatures Red Stitch Blue Ink AG #108/125 (Rockies)
Harrah, Toby 2007 Sweet Spot Classic Signatures Gold Stitch Black Ink TH #35/99 (Rangers)
Harrah, Toby 2007 Sweet Spot Classic Signatures Red Stitch Blue Ink TH #79/125 (Rangers)
Horton, Willie 2007 Sweet Spot Classic Signatures Gold Stitch Black Ink WH #52/99 (Tigers)
Horton, Willie 2007 Sweet Spot Classic Signatures Red Stitch Black Ink WH #27/175 (Tigers)
Karstens, Jeff 2007 Sweet Spot Signatures Red Stitch Blue Ink KA #220/299 (Yankees)
Karstens, Jeff 2007 Sweet Spot Signatures Red Stitch Blue Ink KA #296/299 (Yankees)
Kruk, John 2007 Sweet Spot Classic Signatures Red Stitch Blue Ink JK #124/125 (Phillies)
Lansford, Carney 2007 Sweet Spot Classic Signatures Red Stitch Black Ink CL #12/175 (Athletics)
Lansford, Carney 2007 Sweet Spot Classic Signatures Red Stitch Black Ink CL #129/175 (Athletics)
LaRoche, Adam 2007 Sweet Spot Signatures Red Stitch Blue Ink AL #255/350 (Pirates)
Lind, Adam 2007 Sweet Spot Signatures Red Stitch Blue Ink LI #139/299 (Blue Jays)
McGriff, Fred 2007 Sweet Spot Classic Signatures Red Stitch Black Ink FM #16/175 (Braves)
McGriff, Fred 2007 Sweet Spot Classic Signatures Red Stitch Black Ink FM #151/175 (Braves)
McGriff, Fred 2007 Sweet Spot Classic Signatures Red Stitch Black Ink FM #152/175 (Braves)
Mitre, Sergio 2007 Sweet Spot Signatures Red-Blue Stitch Red Ink SE #15/15 (Marlins)
Morris, Jack 2007 Sweet Spot Classic Signatures Gold Stitch Black Ink MO #5/99 (Tigers)
Nathan, Joe 2007 Sweet Spot Signatures Red Stitch Blue Ink JN #123/299 (Twins)
Oliver, Al 2007 Sweet Spot Classic Signatures Silver Stitch Black Ink AO #18/25 (Pirates)
Perkins, Glen 2007 Sweet Spot Signatures Red Stitch Blue Ink GP #161/350 (Twins)
Pesky, Johnny 2007 Sweet Spot Classic Signatures Red Stitch Blue Ink JP #82/125 (Red Sox)
Quentin, Carlos 2007 Sweet Spot Signatures Red Stitch Blue Ink CQ #47/299 (Diamondbacks)
Rasner, Darrell 2007 Sweet Spot Signatures Red-Blue Stitch Red Ink DR #1/15 (Yankees)
Skowron, Bill 2007 Sweet Spot Classic Signatures Red Stitch Black Ink SK #39/175 (Yankees)
Smith, Reggie 2007 Sweet Spot Classic Signatures Red Stitch Blue Ink SM #76/125 (Dodgers)
Vernon, Mickey 2007 Sweet Spot Classic Signatures Gold Stitch Blue Ink MV #20/50 (Senators)
Vernon, Mickey 2007 Sweet Spot Classic Signatures Red Stitch Blue Ink MV #70/125 (Senators)
Williams, Billy 2007 Sweet Spot Classic Signatures Red Stitch Blue Ink BW #31/125 (Cubs)
Willingham, Josh 2007 Sweet Spot Signatures Red Stitch Blue Ink JW #57/299 (Marlins)
Willingham, Josh 2007 Sweet Spot Signatures Red Stitch Blue Ink JW #77/299 (Marlins)
Willingham, Josh 2007 Sweet Spot Signatures Red Stitch Blue Ink JW #99/299 (Marlins)
Willingham, Josh 2007 Sweet Spot Signatures Red Stitch Blue Ink JW #265/299 (Marlins)
Willingham, Josh 2007 Sweet Spot Signatures Red Stitch Blue Ink JW #280/299 (Marlins)
Young, Chris 2007 Sweet Spot Signatures Red Stitch Blue Ink YG #67/299 (Diamondbacks)

Trade night

Days
Hours
Mins
Secs
Trade night is on!

Click here to join the fun!

Sponsors

Latest posts and bumps