Walmart and Target

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bobby813

MVP
5.00 star(s)
Forgive me if this has been posted already.

What happened to cards at Walmart and Target???
I haven't seen cards in these two stores for months.
Staff has no answers for me. What's going on???

Bob

When I look on line at both Wal-Mart and Target the Blasters they offer are being sold by a third party at outrageous prices.
So I am sure they have locked up how both stores sell them. Both retail and Hobby shops have over priced the products.
For me it has really slowed me down in buying any products. I am sure Topps etc are selling at high prices too.

High demand. Prices for wax and singles have exploded. People follow the vendors from store to store and clean the shelves off the minute they hit them, then flip online. I’ve been lucky enough to catch a few vendors and buy some stock to break. The sealed stuff us selling 2-3-10x retail price on ebay. Apparently, Walmart has stopped having sportscards in some stores but i have yet to witness that.

I got lucky today. Our Target had 10 blaster boxes of Chrome, 12 hanger boxes of chrome and 3 Fire blaster boxes. I bought 4 chrome blasters and 7 hanger boxes. I was tempted to buy everything, but wanted to leave some for others. Glad I didn't buy all though. Karma was good to me with my pulls. I'll post my pulls later. Still have a few boxes left to open.

Billy

Last edited:
The pandemic hit, forcing people inside. A lot of people decided to "visit their childbood" and raid retail stores. This coincided with the bowman jasson Dominguez stupidity, and was followed by General Luis Robert stupidity, and Zion Williamson basketball stupidity, and was coupled with vendors not stocking at a lot of retail stores because they were not essential. Also, the cardcompanies shut down production for a while. It was a snowball that turned into an avalanche.

I was at a Target in Waukesha WI (suburb of Milwaukee) last Friday, and was completely disgusted by the way a fellow "collector" acted. Like most places we have been out of regular stock for months. I did notice there was some product on the shelf so as I walked behind checkouts to check out what they had, this guy (mid to late 40's) his mom, and a pre teen kid were standing there. As I approached I hear the guy say "grab all of those mom" and she scoops up 8 to 10 boxes of Archives. The guy had 8 to 10 hangars of Chrome. As this happened I said rather loudly "Are you serious?" there were a few fat packs of Archives but was so disgusted with this dudes actions I just kept walking. I circled back after looking for something else that has been out of stock in our area for 3 weeks, (cheese breadsticks). I just think it is ridiculous that these people, who probably are not even fans or collectors are just out to make a buck, by being greedy and selfish. The other example of this is I saw a box of Topps Fire on ebay and the opening bid was 175. That is more than double the retail price. Baseball cards will not help you survive the zombie apocalypse let the rest of us enjoy them as well.

This reminds me of the idiots I used to deal with at Kmart, that would call/come in and ask if any new Hot Wheels cases had been delivered. They wanted to cherry pick the rare ones out. And even though they had been told but staff and management that we could not do that, it never stopped them from trying.

I heard it was the Sneaker Bois doing this - especially crazy with basketball stuff. I've been lucky that they only seem to want basketball in my area which means that I've found some retail...hobby boxes have become too expensive for my tastes. I've seen almost zero Topps Chrome but I did manage to get a couple blasters of Archives...which is not a great product IMO and I will leave those behind if I see them in the future.

If I have seen this type of stuff once, I have seen it 1000 times. Just wait these people out. 99% of the people who are stock piling this stuff are going to end up having to eat this stuff. There is no way on earth I would pay 40.00 for a blaster of cards from Wal Mart.

Theres no stock pilling it.....its going directly to ebay.....they want to move it well its hot. You'll see it on ebay.....collectors will open a few boxes and sell the rest to get their money back and a little extra. While the hoaders will just move all of to ebay trying to get at least they cost plus extra! Best regards, David PS So I'm closing the buying machine...and only trading or buying the older auto cards on ebay and leaving the newer stuff alone. Plus the last break is with Zack and then thats it....

If I have seen this type of stuff once, I have seen it 1000 times. Just wait these people out. 99% of the people who are stock piling this stuff are going to end up having to eat this stuff. There is no way on earth I would pay 40.00 for a blaster of cards from Wal Mart.

I would gladly pay $40 a blaster for Mosaic or Prizm basketball. Have you seen what the singles are going for right now?

A RAW BASE card of Lebron is 40-60 bucks. Luka, etc. Zion rookies around over 100. It's insane. I bought a lot at retail price before all this happened and it's just literally a cash cow. That's why this is happening.

Anybody else remember this happening before? I remember the mega card shows and all the craziness in the late 80s and early 90s...wonder if history repeats itself.

Zip Zero Nada at Walmart...a lonely Archives blaster at Target today. I found a couple of Archives the other day at my Fred Meyer so I skipped the one at Target. I've seen one blaster box of Topps Chrome since release...zero hangers, zero cello packs. I've been able to find S2 on a few occasions but not much else and whatever I leave behind is gone the next time I visit the store.

If you live near a Kroger (Fred Meyer) you may check there. I've had better luck finding anything at my local Fred Meyer than anywhere else. I've also come across cards at Walgreens and Bi-Marts. Missing Shopko and K-Mart as they seemed to be unknown spots locally to find cards and I'd usually find something there when I went by.

Oh, that's infuriating if card shops are buying them and marking them up. That's obnoxious.
My local hobby store claim they brought some from guy who came to the store.....but of course no name....to protect the guilty .....did not buy any of the blasters. Best regards, David