how many autos do you need?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dconey

Prospect
whats with guys sending so many items to players,i've seen from 1 to as many as 15 requests;where do you draw the line?i normally send 2 cards of a player in uniforms of teams they played for that i collect,i know guys collect sets but 5,7,9,11,15 items i feel is just going to turn signers off!i realize they don't have to sign them but most try to be accomadating!JUST MY THOUGHTS AND NOT AN ATTACK ON THIS SITE,ive seen these request on other sites and was just left to wonder!

Yeah, I definitely agree with you, and I'm sure you'll find others that will too. The most I've ever sent is 5 I think, and that's almost pushing it, but all cards were from different years. I personally don't want to take advantage of the signer's good will, but some people just send as many cards as they can and sometimes they get a staggering number of autographs. But other times, a player will only sign 1 or 2 per envelope, so it's useless to send more than one to certain players. I think that this is why some players charge; they want to sign, but don't want to be taken advantage of. It's too bad, but some people view TTM autos as a chance to make some money. I see a lot on ebay, and that's really a shame.

I never send more then 2. I try to get a hit to the sets I am working on and if i have an extra one I will send it. That way if someone on the Bench would like it I have is available.

I think it makes the hobby look bad when people send more then 2, personally (IMO). I have had at least 2 retired baseball players write thank you notes to me for only sending 1 card to be signed.

This gets discussed on a lot of other boards, especially sportscollectors.net. The consensus there is that anything over three is being greedy. There have been numerous former players through the years who have quit signing or started charging for their autographs because they get these large requests, then see too many of them show up on Ebay.

I agree with everyone, I usually send two but I think the most I have sent is three, but I hate to see cards on ebay that say "obtained through the mail" I keep all the autographs I get and the only way I would send more than 3 is if it's a very accommodating signer like Frank Tanana or Tom Brunansky but sellers are ruining the hobby..

sending a couple is good espcially if your working on sets or offering to other collectors is good,but to try and sell them o ebay is wrong!take tanana for instance he has to be saying why does this guy need 8 cards signed and yet he gracefuly does it,while others get turned off,i saw one guy sent guy lefluer 5-8x10's what could he be possibly need 5 for other than trying to sell them.another turnoff is the guys who get a rts or failure and they post that the signer is an a=hole or some other negative remark! I am truly greatful for those who sign and understanable to those who don't!sorry just my thoughts!

I send 1 or 2 things at the max. I don't want to get greedy or have the signer think that i am being greedy or trying to sell the stuff i send

2 sometimes 3, think I sent 4 to a couple guys that were retired and openly fine with that but I'd never send 5, probably wouldn't ever send more then 2 now though unless was players with more then 2 08 Topps

I've sent up to 5-6 and have no problem doing it.

I always offer that they keep any they would like for collectors who maybe forget to send cards. If they send them all back then I'll trade some and that is mail they won't have to answer in the future.

Most guys who sign 4+ autographs aren't that valuable (because they sing so much, hello) so I don't see where greed comes in to play.

I send 2 max, but I send a protective index card with the player's name written on there. If he signs it, awesome! If not, my feelings aren't hurt. If I want to send something in greater numbers, I write out my request on an index card with a "circle yes or no" option. But you're absolutely right. I don't know how many times I've seen people say "He signed only 4 of the 9 I sent. What a jerk!" Drives me nuts!
Christian

I always offer that they keep any they would like for collectors who maybe forget to send cards. If they send them all back then I'll trade some and that is mail they won't have to answer in the future.

Most guys who sign 4+ autographs aren't that valuable (because they sing so much, hello) so I don't see where greed comes in to play.
Thank you, this is the exact same thing I follow.

I only offer to sell my TTM's if a trade can't be made or a member just prefers to buy. I try to send so many cards to a player based on what amount they have signed for other players, that way I don't look more greedy than anybody else.:p

"He signed only 4 of the 9 I sent. What a jerk!" Drives me nuts!
Christian

I want to clarify my statement after reading yours, even though I send multiples, I am NOT one who EXPECTS them all back signed and I certainly don't get mad at players for just signing one.

I'd say 97% of the time I send 2 or 3. When sending three I check SCN to see if they have history of signing three items. I do include extras sometimes, with a note to keep the extras, and sometimes they send back all the extras signed (Rick Waits was a recent example). The only person I send a stack to at a time is Pat Neshek. In fact, I have a stack of 14 I'm going to send in January. There are some custom cards in the stack, and I usually send Pat a copy of each custom to keep as well. For those that don't know, Pat openly states to send him as much as you want.

Great thread and discussion. With all of my requests, I send no more than 4. However, most of my requests are 2 or 3. When I send more than 2, I offer the other cards/photos for the player to keep. The reason that I ask for 2 to be signed is because I have a friend in the hobby that I share all of my extras with. So, I have one for my collection and one for him. Anything above and beyond that, I use for trading to add to my collection. But, I agree with all of you that have said that when someone posts that a player is a jerk for not signing the 10 or 15 that he sent is just plain wrong. I've had player still only sign one. I've had players sign all four and send a note to send any additional cards/photos that I have and they will be happy to sign. I think that the most important thing is to be polite and thank the player for taking the time to sign, regardless of how many they sign.

great thread & responses, I usually send 2 or 3 but also check other boards to see if the person I'm sending to only signs 1.The only time I send more than 3 is for Bobby Clarke who is the reason I became such a huge hockey fan.

whats with guys sending so many items to players,i've seen from 1 to as many as 15 requests;where do you draw the line?i normally send 2 cards of a player in uniforms of teams they played for that i collect,i know guys collect sets but 5,7,9,11,15 items i feel is just going to turn signers off!i realize they don't have to sign them but most try to be accomadating!JUST MY THOUGHTS AND NOT AN ATTACK ON THIS SITE,ive seen these request on other sites and was just left to wonder!

If a person is a player collector then they may send more items to players that they know are good about signing or send them a few at a time... I also send extras if I want a few to trade later on too.

Usually I don't send more than three (there are a few occasions where I might send four or five, but those are usually minor league issues), but I do what Ed and a few others have said - I offer that the player keep as many as he would like. I'm happy if I get just one card signed - if there's extra, I use them in trades to help others get who they need.

I never, never, never put them on eBay though. I feel doing that would be a disrespect to the player.

I think 4-5 is absolute max and that would only be if most were different cards. I always send 2-3 cards, and I always offer for player to keep any they want for their own collection. As most of you are aware players rarely keep any. They have seen these cards 100's if not thousands of times before if they wanted any, they woulda gotten them already. Or some keep to give to friends/family or to put into other peoples TTMs.