Curious about your 2010 collecting goals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

I'm going to try to get all of Jiovanni Mier's cards produced (realistically excluding 1 of 1's and maybe a red refractor). So far I'm making good headway with the tight budget that I have but I still need some lower numbered cards as well as a variations on his 2009 Bowman Draft. He shouldn't be in too many products so hopefully it will be feasible.

Thanks everyone! This is always a funa dn interesting thread. One thing that I do notice is the lack of any interest in any upcoming UD releases. Is this related to the licensing issue, or does everyone just not like UD anymore? For me, it's the licensing issue.

Keep it going everyone!

Thanks,

I really think its the licensing issue. I really don't know what do expect as I'm sure lots of people do not. Some of my favorite sets come from unlicensed products (08 Threads, 07-08 EEE) but that might be because I'm a huge Donruss fan. I've always enjoyed Topps better anyways. Plus Topps getting Strasbourg exlusive is huge. If UD had gotten him, they would've been able to still be a big force but now I can't see it.

I bring you, my goals of 2010:

Richard Hidalgo

--Find and purchase 5 mroe autos I do not have
--Reach 400 total cards (Currently sit at 220, including incoming cards. If I can get hot on COMC and sportsbuy, should be easy)
--Buy the Red Crusade (Own the Green and Purple, just need the seller to lower his asking price on the Red)

Javier Vazquez

--Add 6 more autos to my collection
--Reach 300 total cards (Have 152 right now and should be fairly easy since he is a current player)

Hunter Pence

--Add 10 more autos
--Reach 150 total cards (He hasn't been in a TON of insert sets yet, so I am mainly trying to get GU, Auto and base...at 48 currently)
--Get to 30 total GU (I have 11 currently, and his GU is cheap...it will happen)
--Complete the Lettermen name "The Natural" (Not an auto'ed set and already have the A and L)

Miscellaneous Goals

-- Pick up a 59 Topps Bob Gibson RC in PSA 6 or higher grade
-- Complete the 3 sets I am working on (1985 Topps, 2005 Donruss Champions, 2008 Topps)
-- Pick up a Bob Gibson SI auto, Nolan Ryan GOTG auto (any year), Tony Gwynn auto (must be on card) and Mike Piazza auto
-- Begin a Bob Gibson PC collection
-- Start a TTM project that will net me 100 TTM autos
-- Start a collection of decent grade vintage of members of the 3,000 hit club
-- Continue to amp up the stuff I have on my blog
-- Continue working on and improving my website

My goals for 2010:

Keep adding to my Buckeyes collection
Concentrate more on my Rams collection
Send as many ttm football as I can (got about 150 this year)
Expand my Jones collection(any sport)
Bust as many football packs as possible
I've started a Casey collection(any sport) because that was my mom's nickname and she passed away in September
This was a great thread

Good luck to everyone in 2010.

I don't think I'll set any goals for set or player collections. I am going to set a TTM goal, I will announce it in the autographs/discussion thread and track it there once I finally arrive on a number. I has been too long since I added to my T218 boxing set so maybe I'll make it a point to get a few of those.

Finally did decided that I NEED to finish my 2005 Topps Heritage set. This was the set that got me back into hard core collecting almost 5 years ago I should at least finish it. I just need about 30 SPs.

Interesting thread.
I would like to finish some of my older sets. Also pick up some mid/high end Grace cards.
But most of all I have to get my website updated and keep it that way.

Here's hoping all the 'Benchies" have a good year of trading.

Rich

latest additions towards my goals for 2010:

12-31-200970119PM.jpg

Plus added 10 more 1976 Topps

I know John says " your goal " but I think it should be the goal of every member on the Bench to try and get the YSL set finished very soon. With 7000 plus members, it has taken to long.
Leon

1.Would love to get to 1000 different Dontrelle Willis cards(currently at 725)

2.Scan all of my cards one by one and have a decent website of my PC

3.Pick an autograph set with a good balance of rookies, veterans and hall of famers to start.

It will certainly be tough with starting college in 09 but this summer i plan on working A LOT and will hopefully have some decent money to put into my collection. GOOD LUCK EVERYBODY!!

dan

1. Reach 1300 Beckett-listed cards (currently 1140).
2. Reach 2200 total cards/items (currently 1800+)
3. Finish scanning everything (most of cards have been scanned).

Tai

100 bench trades...

2000 Retro/Future REFRACTOR Zito...

07 bowman chrome set finished

07 Red Bowman Chrome Refractor Zito.. ( which I have heard may not exist )

Hope everyone meets their goals or comes close!!
Christopher

Three more additions towards my 2010 goals:
1-3-201071915AM.jpg

I would like to complete my 1975 and 1976 Topps sets:
START: 765/1320
CURRENT: 775/1320
END: ??

I am going to work on getting all the SP cards from the 2009 Topps and Topps Traded so I can complete this set. I will have to buy the majority of those:
START: 1/61
CURRENT: 13/61

Would like to get to 300 Beckett Recognized cards on my Charlie Hough collection:
START: 245/342
CURRENT: 245/342

Would also like to pick up another 20 cards for my 1988 Topps and Topps Traded autograph set project:
START: 471
CURRENT: 471

My personal collection goals for 2010 include:

Mark Teixeira collection:
-1000 total cards
START: 782/1000
CURRENT: 786/1000 (01/03/10)

-50 autographs
START: 26/50
CURRENT:

-150 game used/patches
START: 132/150
CURRENT:

Tino Martinez collection:
-Finally nab that last 2008 Ultimate Collection card I need to finish the set:

2008 Ultimate Collection Jumbo Jersey Patch #TM Tino Martinez /5 (I have missed 2 that have shown up on eBay)

Good luck to everyone on their 2010 collecting goals!

Steph

Last edited:
Beef up my Donnie Avery PC (maybe sometime become a supercollecter of him) and Get to 120 Autographs-TTM IP CERT,Complete the 1994 Topps Baseball Set.Hoping to Complete the 2009 Allen and Ginter set.And Complete the 2010 Upperdeck Baseball Set when it comes out.Get a LeBron Rookie and If I have time a few Brandon Roy GU's.
Kyle

Collecting goals for 2010:
Jeff Bagwell:
Reach 3800 different bagwells (Currently at 3318)
Hit 100 different cert autos (Currently at 73 I think)
Hit 10 1/1 (Currently at 7)
Hit 500 GU (Currently at ~425 I think)
HIt 100 Patches (Currently around 70)

Michael Bourn:
Get to 50 autos (Currently at 22)

Get to 100 card for my 2001 Private stock set (Currently at 63)

Complete the 1998 topps stars Red and Bronze sets

I'm also looking to expand my collecting interests some. Looking to pick up autos of some of the Astros new prospects (Mier, Bushue)
Also looking to get some pre-war GU and cut autos.

Should be a lot of fun this year.

Dan

So I see a lot of intentions on increasing Player PC's. Some of them look like pretty impressive goals.

So this brings me to another question: Do you see your discretionary funds and spending habits returning to pre-recession levels? Do you feel that the economy is starting to solidify? To the point where you are loosening up the purse strings?

Personally I know I will be increasing some aspects of my collection, but it is due to another part slowing down, with the loss of UD in the baseball market. I know that my job is not only safe now, but my company is doing much better going into this year than last. This will let me loosen things up a little, as unemployment for me is less of a factor than before.

Just curious what you all think and really want to keep this discussion going. This has been a very fun thread, and I appreciate all of you for keeping it that way.

Thanks,

Jflan do you work for a card company? and personally money never really changed based on the economy for me as im young and work at a grocery store so income never really changed. although i guess the recession did hurt a little as far as trying to prospect.

dan

Want to get up to 20% of all A's cards and 400+ different A's autos.

We will see how the funds hold up to how far I get on this years quest.

- Chris

Jflan do you work for a card company? and personally money never really changed based on the economy for me as im young and work at a grocery store so income never really changed. although i guess the recession did hurt a little as far as trying to prospect.

dan

Hi Dan,

No I don't work for a card company. It used to be a dream of mine to work for Topps, but most of thier production is done overseas in SE Asia. When I learned that, my respect for the "great American company" went out the window.

Basically, I'm just curious what my fellow collectors are doing and how things are affecting the hobby from all angles. To me it seems like we are heading back to the days of the 60's and 70's when there was only Topps in the baseball card market. Althought the difference now is that Topps will be putting out a bunch of different sets, instead of just one base set. I just can't see the hobby or any card producer surviving in the market without some kind of healthy competition. This will cause me to collect less in the years to come, instead of more. To me, that's a shame, as I've been a really good customer for so long and I just don't look forward to the crap that I know is going to be produced.

Sorry for the long read, but I REALLY am interested in what everyone thinks.

Thanks,

John

Ironically, the thing affecting me the most this year with the recession was not my own personal spending. I usually do most of my spending at the local card shows rather than eBay.

The thing that I pick up, besides Chippers for my collection, is usually tradebait to snag some nicer Chippers. I don't have the budget that some people have for cards. I also don't like to spend a lot on individual cards, so I try to trade for the nicer stuff when possible.

However, this year, the card shows in my area really took a hit as far as what the dealers were bringing to the shows, as well as what dealers were still able to put up the money to even be at the shows.

The shows that I usually did the best at for tradebait, I purchased next to nothing (if anything at all!). I even went to the National in Cleveland and didn't purchase that much. I maybe spent $50 there, including admission.

Another huge thing affecting my collecting habits is that Chipper was not included in as many sets this year, despite having a stellar 2008 season with the NL batting title. I don't see that picking up this year since his 2009 season was rather bad (according to his typical standards).

I'm also not pleased in the leat that Topps is the sole licensed MLB card company. They were my least favorite on all accounts. I'm not a fan of the base Topps sets and also don't like the Bowman line. The only products I like from Topps are Moments & Milestones, which they didn't do in 2009, and Triple Threads, which I can't afford.

And I'm going to stop babbling on now 'cause this post is going to be ridiculously long.